Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day Thirty Five - Another Great Day



Today was a great day for a number of reasons. He started out with a nice walk half way around the unit this morning. He is going further every day. Dick felt well enough today to have his baby brother give him a trim too. Jer cleaned up his mustache and shaved-- just a little of the scraggly looking beard Dick has decided keep.

He also had his trach removed!!! Yeah! They came in and removed it this afternoon and then they placed a gauze pad over the incision and told him that it would heal in about 2 weeks. He sounds the same but if he wants to speak a little louder he just has to hold his fingers over the pad and his voice will be stronger.

He is now on antibiotics for his bladder infection so hopefully that will be gone soon and he will again be rid of the cath. And speaking of things he is rid of... he is finished with his speech therapist. Not that we won't miss Kristin, she was one of our favorites. She has done all that she can do for him here. He had an oral test today where she asked him some questions on 'what he would do' scenarios and he did well. Again, she said that he has done remarkably well in the short time that he has been here and she is impressed with his progress.

He may be headed back to Peoria and St. Francis Hospital by the end of the week or at the beginning of next so if you have plans to visit here you may want to check with Amy or Mike to see where he is. He is anxious to get back to the Peoria area to be closer to his friends and family. Although, he did have a couple of visitor's today other than me and Jer. His cousin Susie and her husband Hawk, and Don Able his riding buddy came to see him.

One thing that we're encouraging Dick to do is to eat more. He is only eating about 25% of his food on his tray per meal and they would like to see him eat at least 50% to get the calories in to increase his strength and stamina. Jer and I left Dick in Susie and Hawk's care while we went to eat and Susie said she would be sure to get him to eat his diner. Now you all know that Dick thinks I pick on him and you know that I would have made him eat...but when I got back he actually told me that I couldn't hold a candle to Susie. I knew I had left him in good hands. The report back on his meal was that he had eaten 75%. Way to go Sue!

So you see, today was a great day. Walking farther, getting a trim, no more trach, no more speech therapist, eating better, and wonderful visitor's. With the prospect of coming to the home turf he feels like he can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Every now and then I go back to the beginning and read the blog and am amazed just how far he has come and how blessed we all are.

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys! This picture is so nice. He was getting a little scruffy looking. Great job uncle Jer! I don't think he trusted me for that job and I am pretty sure I didn't trust myself either. I am so happy he will soom be coming home. I know five little ones that can't wait to see their Paw-Paw! They are all very anxious. Talk to you all tomorrow.
    Love, Amy P.S. Way to go Susie! Thanks for making Dad eat. I wasn't very good at that either. I felt like I was back in high school. When he said I have had enough he meant it! He still can give me that look that says Back off! I love him anyway!LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the great updates and the picture everyone is doing such a great job. He has came along way and it will be great to have him closer Dee and I were going to be coming up in a week or so now it sounds like we will just be driving up to Peoria for a visit. Way to go everyone you have all done a great job in his progress. Love you all. skip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Dick, looks like Jer got you all cleaned up. Jim & Gloria, Vickie & I are planning one coming up to see you tomorrow (Thursday). Sure hope that's okay and not too many people in the way. If it's too many, let me know Judi. Sounds like you're really doing great Dick, I'm so proud of you and how hard you're working. It will be so wonderful to have you back here. See you tomorrow! Hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dick,

    I just want to let you know I've been following your progress every day.There isn't anything good about what happened but it's very apparent to me how good a father, brother, and friend you have been to all thoes you touch.I've known that first hand since 1960.After seeing Jerry w/ the razor and reading the latest updates I just had to write. From A to Z it's all very familiar.I know my friend Dick well enought to know that he is on the path to full recovery.If I still lived in the area I would love to be a part of helping you get there.I hope your family knows they can always call on Jan and I.
    Always, Your Phoenix friends.
    Bud and Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute picture that is! We just need Uncle Darryl in the picture brushing Uncle Dick's hair and RahRah massaging his feet! He is going to get used to all this service! Can't wait until you are back in Peoria and I can come see you without arranging places for my kiddos!!

    ReplyDelete