Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day Nine - A Very Big Day


This has been a very big day. We signed the papers to rent the apartment for Amy, Mike and the other family members who will be spending time here in Florida over the next few months. We will begin moving what few things we will need in tomorrow and Amy and I will spend the the first night in the apartment on Thursday. Just a walk away from the hospital. That's it...top upper left.
Dick has been very active today. He has been reaching out and squeezing hands. When he is asked a yes or no question he nods his head appropriately. He has even motioned to try and write something. We are the ones that are now having difficulty trying to understand his hand motions and what he wants. It is frustrating for us, we just can't fathom how frustrating it is for him. When prodded by Amy he has been trying to open his good eye and he has even given a half hearted smile. One of his best moves is to give us the thumbs up! We are so proud of the strength he is showing and how hard he is working to get back to us. We just know that one of these days he will just open his eyes and start talking to us like he use to; teasing and smiling and being his sassy self. One of the night nurses even asked Amy if her dad was stubborn. She said, "Heck yes." The nurse told her that he had asked Dick to squeeze his hand and he wasn't responding and the nurse told him "Mr. Hasty, I can't tell if you are getting better if you don't respond to my commands". Dick immediately started responding. YEAH! I think that means he is getting better!
We would like to thank everyone for following our blog. It has meant a lot to the family to read your comments and to know how much concern and love there is for Dick and his recovery process. You are helping us cope and it gives us strength each day as we read each and every note. Bless you all for being there.

12 comments:

  1. Dear Amy & Mike --

    I've never met you but I'm really good friends with Rick & Cheryl and family. I even had the privilege of meeting your dad last year in Florida when Cheryl and I spent a week down there. I have prayed for your family ever since your mom got sick and I will continue.

    I just want you to know that I teach fifth grade at a Catholic school and ALL of my students, the faculty and other classes are praying for you all. I know this is a trying time but hang in there and continue to celebrate those tiny milestones that God is giving you as moments of hope and blessings.

    God bless each of you! Please tell your dad that Sister Kimberly is wishing him many blessings and recovery!

    Peace,
    Sister Kimberly Souba and her fifth grade class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad and blessed to know that Dick is doing so well. This is the beginning of my day and I will continue to pray for Dick throughout
    the day. I do wish I could be there, but do know that I am there in thought and prayers.
    Kisses and Hugs to all! I love you! Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the apartment issue came together and now is behind you. Now you can devote all your time to getting Dick healthy. The progress is truly amazing. Good luck to all. Love and prayers are with you.
    Abe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brooklynn learned yet another new word "ball"--I think she is trying to tell Papa that she too wants to be in the backyard baseball games. Last year she was a looker, this year she wants to play. Tell "Papa" we love him and can't wait to see him and that we are so proud of how far he has come in a week. Love you!! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I hope I can figure out how to post this...I am sooo glad to hear about the wonderful progress Uncle Dick is making!!! Judy thanks for starting the blog, and AMy, you are doing a great job, so keep it up!! Mike and Amy, my daily prayers are going out to you guys as well as your dad. I love you both so much--hang in there!! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just received word of Dick's accident from JoElla. We want everyone to know that we will keep Dick and the family in our thoughts and prayers. We will continue to follow the Blog (this is a great idea for us back home to keep up to date with his progress)
    Love...Aunt Helen, Uncle Sam, Kathy and Nancy...Tell Dick we will keep the seats warm at the Paradice for his return.lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a classmate of Dick's although I have not seen him in years. However, I wish him all of the best and we are praying for him daily. I have put him on our prayer chain at church so prayers are going from there as well. All of you keep strong as it will be a long road, don't forget to take care of yourselves.
    In God's Love, Diana Rein Burroughs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any, Mike and the entire family, My heart, love & prayers go out to all of you. I love you all so much and everyone is in my constant
    prayer; especially Dick. The apartment looks like a cute little place; it sounds just perfect. I pray that you all remain safe while down in Florida and I know how much you miss your family back here. Be strong and God
    will get you all through this. Keep your faith.

    Much Love, Sherry Clark

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunt Judi, thank you so much for creating this blog! Many people, myself included, rely on your updates to know how things are going and the progress that Uncle Dick is making.
    Amy, my prayers are with you everyday as your heart is in two places; there with your dad and here with your husband and kids. I will continue to pray for you and Aunt Judi and Aunt Kathy as you speak words of encouragement and love to Uncle Dick.
    We continue to pray for Uncle Dick's healing on a daily basis.
    Love to all our Hasty family from Kirk, Melanie and the kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amy,
    It is so great to hear that your dad is making progress and getting better. Your dad will remain in our daily prayers.
    Please remember, if there is ever anything that I can do, please ask!

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hasty Clan: We miss you and feel Dick's improvements prove the strength of family and friends and Dick's determination to come back to Amy and Mike.We look forward to the updates and enjoy the sharing from everyone. Hopefully it won't be long and we can all go to Sidwell's for breakfast. God be with you all. Larry and Sandy

    ReplyDelete