Friday, March 27, 2009

Day Thirty-One - Walk the Line

Today has been a really good day. Dick has been busy today he has had breakfast, lunch, and diner. He has eaten well which is really good because the better he eats the sooner he is able to get his feeding tube out. Today for lunch he had cubes of chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, cooked carrots, lemon sherbet, ice tea and juice and for diner he had baked potatoes, pork (cubes), cream of broccoli, roll w/butter, cake and juice. He has been getting quite the meals. He doesn't eat it all, but he eats quite a bit and it usually tastes good to him. So with that in mind the removal of the feeding tube could be any day now.

He also had to walk the line today! I think he was out to set a record. He walked 45 feet yesterday and today he walked 120 feet. He only sat down two times once on the way down the hall and once on the way back. He had a cheering section of his nurses and RT team along with Amy and I. His PT asked if he wanted to sit once he got closer to the door but he didn't want to... he wanted to go all the way back into his room. Quite an accomplishment for only his second walk in the hall!

More good news is that he has been completely on room air today. Between the room air and the feedings the trach may be removed by the end of next week. Yipee!

He is getting quite a reputation up here now. The same reputation he had at Morton Caterpillar, and Miami FL, Elko NV, IN, SC, CA, Mexico and probably a few I have missed. That reputation of being a good guy, someone easy to get along with, likable....that's our Uncle Dick. His staff here is impressed with his hard work and his determination as well as his sense of humor. But all of us in the Hasty Family can add dependable, generous, kind hearted and a pain in the a**! But we love him.

5 comments:

  1. What a surprise I got today, a call from Dick. Janice and I were out and about and the phone rang. Janice answered it (I was driving) and she then handed me the phone saying, "I think it is Dick Hasty." Dick's voice was the sweetest music I have heard in many years. I have read he blog every day but hearing him was so special I can not explain....thank you Dick. We will get up to see him in a week or 2 (we will check first) and I will have trouble holding back tears, he is doing so well it is just exciting. We love you all. Wayne and Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your fan club is still rooting for you! Way to go Dick......Dee Berchtold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Dick. You're walking the halls now,
    but I can't wait to see you walking the streets
    of Morton. Keep up the good work; I know you
    will. Love to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dick, Keep up the good work! I also am looking forward to seeing you walking the streets of Morton. Best regards, Bruce Hertenstein

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dick, this news is so wonderful to hear. Keep up the hard work so you can come home soon. We all miss you very much. Oh yeah, you still have to make me your famous popcorn. I'm not forgetting it!!! Love ya, Mary Burress

    ReplyDelete