Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day Eighteen - Good Communication

Jerry and I got here late last night, we visited Dick for about and hour and a half and he was pretty tired and slept most of the time. But today is a different story. He has been awake most of the day and he has been opening his eyes often and is asking a lot of questions.

His doctor came in this morning and explained what changes they have seen in his progress that will allow him to be moved to Illinois. First he is no longer considered a neuro patient which is the best news. Next he needs to be off the ventilator which he has been off of and has only been getting pressure support to just help fill the lungs. He has actually been breathing on his own for the biggest part of t0day and has been doing well. And the last thing they want to be sure of is that he is coughing good to keep the pneumonia that he does have from getting worse and that is going well too. His doctor actually said that he was one of their success stories. Way to go Uncle Dick!

They have been rolling him from side to side to give his backside a rest and he is letting them know when he is ready to lay on his back again. He actually sat up enough this morning that he was looking out the window. Jer and I keep telling him he needs to work at keeping his eyes open and he is doing his best, although sometimes he has to hold his eyes open with his hands he is working hard at getting the challenge met.


He has been writing notes to us - he has asked if we have talked to Mike and he was concerned if Mike was getting all the right information. We assured him that Mike and Amy have done a wonderful job of taking care of everything and that he would be very proud of them. He has asked if we have seen the orders for his move to Chicago and he has asked what day this is and how long he has been here. It is difficult at times to read his writing and decipher his hand signals but we are getting better. He sometimes gets frustrated with us and scratches through his writing and has to start all over again trying a different approach to his thought. This is such a giant leap forward and is very exciting.

Tonight while he was on his side he noticed the buttons on the rail of his bed. I thought he was asking if he could lower the rail and he was actually asking how to lower the bed. He pointed at the buttons and then motioned down. I showed him which button lowered his head and raised it and which lowered his feet and raised them. He started testing them out. He raised his head and lowered it and he raised his feet and lowered them. I asked him if he felt like he was in control now and he gave me a big smile.

After our conversations today I can tell that he is ready for some serious physical therapy and he is ready to head to Illinois. Cold as it may be there he will be warming many hearts.

One last note. I showed Dick a slide show of his kids & his grandkids tonight ....talk about a happy heart! I have never seen him smile so big.

10 comments:

  1. Hi guys! I am so excited. This makes me want to be there with my dad more than ever. I feel like this is the time when he needs all of us there to reassure him that he is on his way to recovery and to keep up the good work! I cant wait to see him on Monday and give him tons of hugs and kisses!!!!!!!! Tell him we all love him and the kids are making pictures for me to bring him on Monday! The kids are very anxious to know when they will be able to see their Paw-Paw! I have told them Paw-Paw needs to be just a little better but it will be very soon!!!!!!! Aunt Judi thank you so much for the great update! Love you! Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, what a great day! I'll continue to pray and hope Dick's progess keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such fantastic news. Makes me so happy that Dick is progressing as well as he is. Dick -- I am so proud of you and that you are MY brother. With all my love! I miss seeing you, but you are definitely in my heart and all of my prayers. Love, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a long day of delays and running through the airport(don't get me started on Delta!) I finally made it to see my dad about 10:15PM. Talk about a difference from 10 days ago when I last saw him. He looks like himself and acted like himself. He was throwing his leg off the bed and pointing to the chair. He wanted out of the bed. He was very responsive to me and you can tell he's really thinking and putting things together. I'm so proud of him and all the progress he's made. He can't wait to get back to Illinois. Thank you to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. We appreciate it so much. Love, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea--Papa is coming to Illinois. Mommy said we could come visit you soon and that I can maybe go to Legoland, while Daddy stays with you(Papa) and helps you to get better. You have to get better because I just got this knight costume and I can't wait for you to play with me--maybe you can be the dragon??? I love you Papa, so does Brooklynn! Carson

    ReplyDelete
  6. G R E A T J O B D I C K !!!!!!

    Hasty girls thank you for all the time and effort put into this blog. It has kept the home town cheering crowd well informed.... The next step is coming fast please do list the newest address for our very determined patient that has not quit on anything...
    This way the cards will keep up on his vast moving team on posh hotel rooms....HA HA
    Judi, please tell the staff thank you for there support and help for this fast recovery this is a special part of a speedy recovery.
    The man above once again has worked his wonders, safe traveling for everyone....

    Janet :):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, everyone is very excited about the latest news on Dick and we are so very happy for Mike & Amy that there Dad will be closer to them. Do post the address once you have it as I am sure there will be lots of cards and hopefully in the not too distant future Dick will be up to some visitors!! Love and blessings to you all. Laurie & Wally

    ReplyDelete
  8. So Happy to hear Dick is improving and on his way back north. Keep working hard and hurry home! Kevin and Lisa Owen

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very happy to hear the great news on my big brother! Tell Dick I'm very proud of all his hard work to return to us! And we will all be there for the long journey ahead. Also that I love him bunches and bunches and can't wait to see him!!! Continually praying for him, with hugs & kisses,
    Baby Ree (Kim) XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judi & Jerry, We are thrilled with the progress that Dick is making. I read the blog every day and report to Big. I'm happy you and H got there safely and found such good news. Our thoughts are prayers are with you guys every day! Tell Dick we're rooting and praying for him every day. Take care, Love Big and Mrs.

    ReplyDelete