Thursday, March 19, 2009

He's Back!!!!!!!!

Good evening everyone! Today was another milestone day. When Mary(my mother-in-law) and I arrived this morning Dad was getting an eye examine. The doctor said he was just checking his eyes especially the left one to make sure everything looked okay. He dialated them and then took a light to look inside of each eye. He said they looked pretty good and he didnt think there was any permant damage to either eye. What a relief! About an hour later the speech therapy girl ( kristin) came in and put in the valve to let him start speaking! She had him say hello everyone and say his name which he did very well. His voice is obviously very weak and sounds a little different but she said that will get better with time. Aunt Cheryl and Jen came in at this time and the fun began! He playfully gave Jen a hard time and wouldnt say her name. He kept calling her Sarah just to get a rise out of her. He then said you are Heidi's sister. Which Heidi loved by the way! I asked him if he knew me and he said " I dont recognize you at all!" He smiled and said you are my daughter. The relief I felt just hearing his voice was almost overwhelming. I knew he was in there and I finally had my Dad back! I called Mike and let Dad say hi to him. He said " Hi buddy I love you and tell the kids I love them and miss them." It brought tears to all of our eyes. Rich- I told him what you had said on your comment about using the Cub towel on his head. I said what do you think about that and he said tell him "I do still have a brain!" This sent us all into tears of laughter! It was such a great day for all of us there to hear his voice after almost four weeks. He only had the valve in for about 45 minutes and they had to give him a breathing treatment. The speech therapist said since it was only the first day they should give him a break and she would be back early morning to place it back in for the day.
I cant tell you how exciting this is for us and him to be able to communicate with words! I can't wait for tomorrow to see what he comes up with.

When they gave him the breathing treatment his heart rate went up and he started shaking. The doctor came in and said she has noticed that this starts mostly with the breathing treatments. She said that they would change the medicine in the treatments and only give them from now on as needed. The shaking and the increased heart rate are both side affects of the medicine in the treatments. He was having a reaction to them and they would cut back on them. Thank God because this was a very hard thing to watch. He said he wasnt in any pain but to watch him you could tell he was obviously having some sort of strange reaction. Mary and I left shortly after this so I could get home to spend some much needed time with my family. Aunt Cheryl and Sarah I mean Jen, JK, stayed with him until about 730. They explained they would be leaving but he would be in good hands and Sarah and I would return in the morning . Jen said that her and Aunt Cheryl tearfully said goodbye and he peacefully waved goodbye to them. Overall this was another great day and I hope there will be many more to come! Love you all, Amy

6 comments:

  1. What great strides he is making! So happy for all of you. You kids mean so much to us parents, I hope you realize that. God bless you all; keep up the good work! And give a special hug to Dick for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Dick, you are in our prayers many times a day. We miss you and cannot wait to have you home! Mike and Amy, you guys are doing a terrific job with the blog and I know that you helping your Dad heal just by being there! Even though I cannot be there in person, your recorded thoughts allow me to feel like I am right there witnessing Uncle Dick's recovery. Miss you guys and hope to see everyone, especially Uncle Dick, soon! Love you all, Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely the best news I have heard. It is so good to know that Dick is back to his teasing. Amy and Mike the daily blog has sure helped all of us that are unable to be there with your Dad. You keep pushing him to heal and we'll keep praying for him. Dick is very stubborn and will keep progressing. I love him very much and am looking forward to the day we will be able to talk with him and see him. Love, Tom & Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike and Amy (et.al.!)- We read the blog everyday and are SO happy to hear how well your spunky dad (and our uncle Dick) is doing. Let him know we send our love, as well, and are looking forward to seeing him this summer when we're in Illinois. (Of course, we look forward to seeing you two and all the kids, too! :-) )
    Love, Susan Greg and Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. What awesome news! I am so happy for Dick that some of his frustration can be gone, even if it's temporary for now! Being able to speak has got to make him feel much better! I'm proud of the hard work you all have done (especially Dick)! Amy,your Dad (and Mom) have got to be very proud of both you and Mike! Dick, it is wonderful to hear that your stubborness,(I mean determination) is paying off! I will remember that in the future since I too, possess that same Jim Wilson trait!LOL
    Can't wait to see you all, soon I hope!
    Love to all! Kim XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 5th grade students and I are so happy to hear all good news and the progress that Dick is making. One of my (boy) students got teary-eyed when I read this post to the class and said, "See Sister Kimberly, our prayers are really working!" I couldn't help but let the tears fall then.

    Sister Kimberly

    We continue to pray for ALL of you each and every day! Take each day one at a time and know that we are all supporting you through our prayers. God bless!

    ReplyDelete