Friday, March 20, 2009

Sara and Amy's Day!

Hi everyone! Okay so I am going to apologize but I am extremely tired so this blog is going to be short and sweet! Today when Sara and I arrived Dad was already up and sitting in a chair. We walked into a bright eyed man who is looking more and more like himself everyday! He greeted us both with lots of kisses. He was very excited to see his Rah-Rah. For those of you who don't know, this is what all of my kids called Sara when they were younger. Well, actually Brock and Carson still call her that and my dad has never stopped calling her that since Braden was a baby. Anyway, shortly after we arrived Kristin( the speech therapist) came in to place the speaking valve back on. He said hi to all of us. She said to him "so this is the famous Rah-Rah!" He proceeded to tell Kristin that he could tell her some Rah-Rah stories but only if she was off work and had a cold one in her hand! For those of you who know Sara you know this is very true! He ended up having the valve in for the whole day. He talked to B, Avery , Mike, and Carson on the phone today. He told each of them he loved and missed them very much. It was truly touching for Sara and I to watch. Later on in the day he had physical therapy which he did the usual exercises and then they had him stand for maybe about a minute. He didn't want to sit down but they told him they didn't want him to overwhelm himself and that he shouldn't push it to far. This really wore him out and when they got him back in bed his heart rate went up quite a bit. They gave him something to relax him and he then was able to sleep for a couple of hours. When Sara and I got ready to leave he actually gave us each a hug! This was the first time for actual hugs with both arms around us. We each said a tearful goodbye and I told him I wasn't crying for any reason other than I was so proud of him and that he was getting so much better. He held my hands and said "honey this is just something we have to do. I will be okay." The best part was when he looked me straight in the eyes and said " I'm not going anywhere!" I knew he didn't mean literally, he meant he was going to be around for a long time!

Well, this wasn't as short of a blog as I had intended but that is all I have for tonight. Uncle Darryl and Aunt Jan will be spending the day with dad tomorrow so I will try to get a full report and share something with all of you tomorrow. Keep the prayers coming. They are working! Good night everyone, Love, Amy

9 comments:

  1. Sweet Amy,
    I love your blogs and I know they take a lot of time but I check them every morning, first thing. Today's made me cry again. I am so happy for you and your Dad. I can just see him getting better through your eyes. Anyway, thanks. Please give your dad our love and hugs. God is good and He has His hand on your Dad. Hugs to you too. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Your blogs are so wonderful. I feel I am right there seeing your Dad on a daily basis. I like Kaye check the blog every morning and this one again made me cry. Your Dad is getting better each day. This is wonderful news and a great relief to all of us. We will continue to pray for him daily. Give everyone our love, Aunt Jo XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I couldn't wait to read your blog this morning. Then I could hardly read it through the tears. But, they were tears of laughter and joy at how well he is doing and how far he has come. I know we will have him home soon. I am sure all the grandkids were happy to get a chance to talk to their paw paw. Love to You and Mike - Aunt Judi and Uncle Jer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant explain the relief I feel after actually getting to see uncle Dick. My first visit with him was a great. We teased each other and talked.(I smooched him alot.)He made me laugh several times during the day but having to leave him was hard. The hug he reached out to give me when we were leaving made it easier and was by far my favorite part of the day. I can't wait for more of those. See you soon uncle. Keep up the good work! love, Rah Rah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto to Judi's comment; she took the words right out of my mouth. Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesme day! I know God always answers our prayers the way that is best---but I'm still in awe of Dick's progress. Each day seems to be a milestone! He is so focused on getting well and coming home that I don't think there is any stopping him! We are all so proud of him. Amy & Mike---you two are the number #1 "rocks" in his recovery. I know he loves all of us very much---but he is trying his hardest because of you guys!!!! The two of you flying down there the morning after the accident and staying for the first, hardest recovery time, gave him the will to live and the knowledge he had to fight the battle of his own life. All the grandkids are right behind you guys and your spouses!! He is loved by so many and we all know that without all our prayer support asking God to heal him, we couldn't have done it alone. Praise to all who have prayed for him and his family and all of us! God is so good! Of course, we should give some credit to those beautiful "Hasty guardian angels" we have watching over all of us! We know they have been with Dick from the beginning---even when we had to leave and get some sleep. Keep up the work and keep those prayers coming! Love & Hugs! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy he is doing so well! I work with Judi and have been following the recovery. I feel as if I'M part of the Hasty family now! So glad everything is going so well...

    Regan Shute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great blog Amy! I too am a daily reader.Your report gives me inspiration and peace of mind to go through my busy day! And, yes, I read through tears of joy and relief too! Keep up the good work and tell my big bro to do the same! (And give him kisses and hugs for me too!) I'm proud of you all and love you all very much! "Still on my knees", Aunt Kim XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  9. We unfortunately don't get to read this blog daily because of my work schedule, lots of overtime right now. When I get home before Mom (Aunt Dot) goes to bed, the 1st thing she says is "get online and find out how Dick is!" We are both so very, very thankful for this blog. The last 2 days were the best news yet. I know I say that each time but ea. days news seems to be better than the day before. Thank goodness, Dick for your stubborness & hard-headiness (no pun intended,)(maybe a little pun). LOL Keep up the good spirit & work & you'll be yourself in no time. Yea!!!!
    Love, Aunt Dot & Jani

    ReplyDelete