Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Amy's good news!

Hi everyone, its Amy! I am not as good at writing as my Aunt Judi so bear with me. I will try to make this short and sweet. I wanted to share some good news. It is 5:30 in the morning and I just called the hospital. My dad is breathing on his own and is following commands again! He is off all of the sedation medication and the vent is off for now. They still have it hooked up just in case they need to put him back on it which they said that is a possibility. Paul(his nurse) told me that sometimes when you are on a vent for a while you become dependent on it and when you start breathing on your own it wears you out because your not use to it. Paul also said that he squeezed both his hands and gave him the thumbs up sign! He said that he is trying really hard to open his eyes but they are pretty swollen so that will take some time. He is also reassuring dad that all of his family have been there and will be up in the morning. Before getting off the phone I asked his nurse Paul to please let him know that I am coming up there as soon as I can and I love him. I really wanted to tell him to run in there and give him a big kiss and hug but I didn't think Paul would appreciate that too much! LOL! He said he would go in and tell him at that very moment! I am overjoyed right now. This is the best news we have had in days! He is still in critical condition but I have a feeling God is working miracles!

I probably scared Mike to death when the phone rang at 4:00 his time to tell him the good news! He was thrilled as well. I know its killing him to not be here. It's killing me too! I really never realized how much I needed my big brother until he left yesterday! He has been the rock through this whole thing and I couldn't have done any of this without him.
While I am writing I would like to say that I couldn't have done this without Mike nor Aunt Judi, Uncle Jer, Uncle Darryl, and Aunt Kathy. They have all been amazing to Mike and I. This is so devastating to all of us and they still have enough strength to comfort me when I have my daily meltdowns! I cant begin to explain how grateful I am to all of them. Thank all of you as well for all of the prayers, love, and support you have given to all of us here in FL. Dad does not have any idea how much he is loved. I cant wait until I have the chance to tell him! Hopefully we will have good things to report tonight! Keep praying! Love to all!

10 comments:

  1. Hallelujah!!!!! Great news. The power of love and prayer is a Godsend. Amy, Paul might not want to give your dad a big hug, but I certainly would. And I look forward to doing just that. Keep the faith.
    Abe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! This is truly a big breakthru! I look forward to my turn to come down and tell him in person how much I love him. I promise I won't give him any lectures (until he is totally recovered!) Thanks for the great note, Amy---we all needed some good, encouraging news! Let's all keep those prayers coming and have faith that God will do the rest! Love you all! Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Cant wait to hear more later. Love you guys. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update! Friends in Elko NV will continue to pray (and believe) for a FULL recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so surprised to see this posting today! I had read Judi's update last night and slept fretfully all night. What a great moment when I saw this. So happy for Dick, all of you and all of us followers. Mr. Dick is much loved and all the rest of you, too! We are still keeping you close to our hearts, in our prayers and thoughts. Sounds like Ms. Marianne is taking charge. Thanks for posting the great news Amy!
    Laurie Swanson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy you do such a nice job of posting I felt so happy reading your letter. You are doing a great job and we are all here for you and your family. Your dad is lucky to have such a loving family there to take care of him/I know that is helping him to improve everyday along with all the prayers. love you skip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for the updates. Working with Dick this summer was a blessing. He is so full of life and his knowledge and life experiences were priceless to a young person. I know he touched most of the people he worked with there. I will pass the updates along to his retired friends from Illinois. My thoughts and prayers are still with him and all of you. Curt Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What an uplift. Amy, your comments this morning made my day so enjoyable. We all need to here the improvements on a daily basis. I am sure Michael was not at all upset that you called him with such good news. Dick is in my prayers daily. I Love You all so Much! Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy and Mike and others of Dick's family and his caregivers, you are also in my prayers as you support Dick. What great kids he has! I am also a member of the class of '63 and add prayers for him. Kasandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great news!!! Thank you GOD!!! This is great to be kept up to date. I will be waiting for more great news. Be safe!!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete