Friday, April 3, 2009

SAFE AND SOUND!

HE IS IN PEORIA! Hey everyone! Dad made it safe and sound back to Peoria today around 3:00. We are so thankful to have him this much closer to home. He was very excited to get the news this morning that he would get to come to Peoria today! He managed to get his last physical therapy session in before he left. Of course he did very well! He did get to say goodbye to several of his favorite nurses, pcts, and therapists. They all told him they would miss him very much and wished him lots of luck. His Doctor ( Dr. A) greeted him with her usual saying this morning. "Where's my guy?" She must have told him ten times how much she would miss him. She gave me her card and asked that we call her in a couple of weeks to let her know how he was doing. Even in the hospital Dad still seems to have a way with the ladies.LOL!

When Aunt Cheryl and I arrived in Peoria we were surprised that Dad was already all nice and cozy in his room. He had a busy few hours going over his chart with all of his Doctors, and getting checked in. We feel a great sense of relief knowing what good hands he is in and how much closer he is to all of us. I told him he would probably have quite a few visitors tomorrow. He didn't seem to mind a bit. He seemed so much more relaxed just knowing he was closer to everyone that loves him so much. I told him he would definitely have five little visitors as well. He said he couldn't wait to see all of the kids, and I know they can't wait to see him as well. I am sure, at least for me, it will be a tearful reunion! Mike and I have waited for this day for a long time and we can't wait!

That is all I have for now but I will let all of you know now how his first full day goes tomorrow. Well, maybe I will let Doogie have that job! Love you all, Amy

4 comments:

  1. Praying for the best for Dick! This is such fantastic news. I talked with Dick for a short time last night. He seems to be in very good spirits and is happy to be so close to home. Whenever possible let us know this new address. Love, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting day yesterday! Amy & I could hardly wait to hear the words that her Dad was ready to travel to Peoria. We hated to get our hopes and his hopes up too much and then be disappointed and have to wait until Monday for the transfer. I do believe that if we had not been up there for those two days, the transfer would not have happened on Friday. No one was in a hurry for him to go---as much as we all were. They don't get too "rushed" getting orders pushed through. Anyway, we were all excited! He will have a very busy schedule doing intense physical rehab at St. Francis Hospital. He will be getting 3 hours a day for 5 days a week. His two days off will rotate and may or may not be on the weekend. If you are traveling very far, you may want to call him and make sure he is available for visiting. I think they will be keeping him busy during the day but I know when he is not busy, he will appreciate visitors. Thanks again for all your love, prayers and support for him and his entire family! Mike & Amy have been awesome in taking good care of him!(They are truly giving back for all that great "fatherly" care he has given them all their lives!) Also, thanks to their spouses who have had double "kid" care while they have been with their Dad in Florida or Chicago!!! We're now on the "final leg" of his hospital journey to gain back his health. In no time, we'll expect to see him out in his yard enjoying the sunshine! God is so Good!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Dick on your transfer to Peoria. I was able to tell my students that you were coming back to Peoria and I would like to quote one of my students, "Dick is getting an Easter miracle!" And you definitely are! Be assured of our constant thoughts and prayers. We are on spring break right now so I will be sure to let the students know that you made is safe and sound after we get back. God bless you!!! Sister Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy and Mike, we are so glad that Dick is finally back in Peoria. We would like to come over Tue. evening.If this is a problem let me know,452-6116. I know this will make his recovery even faster, to be even closer to all his family espically thoes Grandkids I heard about last week. we love you Dick, hope to be able to see you next week. love Gary and Susie,p.s. you better be eating at lease 50% of all your meals, I will check that out when I see you Dick love again Susie

    ReplyDelete