Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Day 44- One Popular Guy

Good evening everybody. You're stuck with Mike 2 nights in a row. Wow, I'm getting this posted early tonight. Dad had another successful day. I wasn't able to make it up to any of his therapy today b/c of work, but I did get the scoop from dad. He said they really worked him hard again today. Although, no matter how many minutes or reps they ask him to do, he seems to do just a little bit more. He was instructed to try to walk for 3 continuous minutes on the treadmill. He walked for 5 minutes. Then, they asked him to ride a stationary bike that also incorporates arm movements for 5 minutes. He went ahead and did it for 10 minutes. It seems like no matter what the therapists throw at him he's able to not only meet the challenge, but exceed it. I'm sure that determination is one of the reasons he will be leaving the hospital ahead of schedule.

However, dad doesn't only work hard, he plays hard too. When I got up to see dad after work, he was not in his room. I thought that's funny b/c his rehab usually gets over around 3. Well, when you're as popular a guy as dad is, your hospital room can't possibly accommodate all your visitors. They had to move the party to one of the family rooms. At one point this afternoon, I think there were close to 10 of us visiting dad. The best part was he didn't seem the least bit overwhelmed. He seemed perfectly comfortable visiting with that many people. Several of the nurses asked if there was a party going on when they stepped into the room.

I hope all of you reading this know what a big part you have played in dad's recovery. Whether you came to visit, sent a card, said a prayer, whatever, it's made a big difference in his road back. The case worker told me yesterday she always notices that the people who are surrounded by family and friends always recover the quickest. So give yourselves a pat on the back. You deserve it.

Thanks for reading everybody. Have a great night!

There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.

-Ella Wheeler Wilcox

3 comments:

  1. Mike, you're really getting good at this blog thing. I'm really enjoying your quotes. Great job!!
    Dick,sounds like you're really setting records.
    That's wonderful. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm even feeling a little more motivated with Mike's quotes. I was in shock when I saw your Dad stand up on his own and walk to the bathroom yesterday without help. We are truly witnessing a miracle. Keep up the great blogs and I'll look forward to tomorrow's quote!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, your quotes sure seem to be set to the mood. Fantastic job! I love hearing how great your Dad is doing and I love those quotes. Like I've said before, I sure wish I could be there. I'm always praying and will continue praying. Great Job, Dick! It really looks like we will be seeing you in Morton this summer. Love, Jo/Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete